Creo que hasta ahora no había hablado acerca de mi linda e intrincada familia. Bueno, hoy no será la ocasión, simplemente les contaré acerca de mi sobrina. Oh no, para eso tengo que contar de mi hermana, y así de mi papá y así sucesivamente.
La China es mi "media hermana" pero es una denominación fea para un amor tan grande. Es 20 años mayor que yo y crecí con ella. En realidad se llama Carolina, así que hablaré de ella como la China y la Caro (pero siempre será la misma persona).
Cuando yo tenía 3 años, la Caro fue mamá de la Maca, y al año después mi mamá tuvo a la Viví. O sea, éramos 3 niñas que vivíamos bajo el mismo techo y compartimos toda nuestra infancia. Nos queríamos, pero a veces peleábamos.
Cuando pasé a 7mo la China y la Maca se fueron vivir a EEUU y formaron una familia que ahora ha crecido a base de niños rubios que no hablan ningún idioma pero balbucean dos.
Hablamos siempre, por webcam o por teléfono o por facebook o como sea. Siempre estamos conectadas y nos echamos mucho de menos.
En fin, no quiero irme por las ramas. Hoy día mi hermana me mandó por inbox el blog de mi sobrina, y me llevé una muy grata sorpresa al leerlo y reír con su humor irónico y su uso tan gringo de la vida y el inglés.
Encontré esto que me pareció notable y quiero ponerlo acá, en el mío. Habla principalmente del estigma que le ha significado la canción Macarena allá en EEUU (¡cómo no se me había ocurrido antes que eso le podía pasar!).
MACARENA
Macarena. The unfortunate name I was sadly given.
“Macarena, can you dance the Macarena?” “One maca, two maca, three Macarena!” “Heeeeey Macarena!”
I’m tired of it. Mostly now I just ignore it, but when I was younger and heard people say these thing… it made me want to kick a puppy. Most people say they love my name, and I like my name too, but sometimes it can get sooo annoying. It maddens me that people can be so unaware of how rude they are being. The song “Macarena” is a memory of the year I was born, a memory of my family, a memory of everything dear to me… and a memory of how many times it is mispronounced, laughed at, danced and sung to.
The first days of school are the worst. Teachers are pronouncing my name wrong, new students are laughing at my name, and my friends greet me by dancing to the macarena. C’mon people! I don’t wake up at 5:30, ride a filthy bus, choose a cute outfit just so you can have fun with my name. Sometimes even my Spanish teachers pronounce my name wrong. (That comes to show how good they are at their job.)
The sad part is that I sometimes can’t help but sing along with everyone else in my head, it’s just such a catchy song! Though I usually don’t mind when people dance to it, I know that I will NEVER dance along with them. As long as I know the dance and can remember how to do it, I’m satisfied.
“Heeeeey Macarena!”
I walk though the hallways facing forward, knowing that if I hear my name they aren’t calling anyone else but me. The only Macarena in the school district.
The song and I are actually a lot alike. We are both upbeat. When you hear the song you can’t help but dance. I can’t help smiling at the fact that they are singing my name and no other. For my birthdays I get cards singing the Macarena, and my friends always put it somewhere in the conversation everyday.
The song bring back more memories that I can list. It is special to me and my family and I won’t ever forget it, and my friends won’t either.
But right now I am proud to say that my name is Macarena Subiabre Ferrer Aravena Bunster Masri Vaccaro.
1 comentario:
¿podrías traducirlo? habemos algunos que nos apegamos a nuestra lengua vernácula (por no decir que reprobamos el test de inglés ajaj)
Publicar un comentario